Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Bible passages as I received them over the course of the poustinia:

2 Corinthians
Chapter 6

1 2 Working together, then, we appeal to you not to receive the grace of God in vain.2For he says: "In an acceptable time 3 I heard you, and on the day of salvation I helped you." Behold, now is a very acceptable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.3 We cause no one to stumble 4 in anything, in order that no fault may be found with our ministry;4 on the contrary, in everything we commend ourselves as ministers of God, through much endurance, in afflictions, hardships, constraints,5 beatings, imprisonments, riots, labors, vigils, fasts;6 by purity, knowledge, patience, kindness, in a holy spirit, in unfeigned love,7in truthful speech, in the power of God; with weapons of righteousness at the right and at the left;8through glory and dishonor, insult and praise. We are treated as deceivers and yet are truthful;9as unrecognized and yet acknowledged; as dying and behold we live; as chastised and yet not put to death;10as sorrowful yet always rejoicing; as poor yet enriching many; as having nothing and yet possessing all things.11 We have spoken frankly to you, Corinthians; our heart is open wide.12You are not constrained by us; you are constrained by your own affections.13 As recompense in kind (I speak as to my children), be open yourselves.

14 Do not be yoked with those who are different, with unbelievers. For what partnership do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?15 What accord has Christ with Beliar? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said: "I will live with them and move among them, 12 and I will be their God and they shall be my people.17 Therefore, come forth from them and be separate," says the Lord, "and touch nothing unclean; then I will receive you18 and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."


John
Chapter 20

But Mary stayed outside the tomb weeping. And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb12 and saw two angels in white sitting there, one at the head and one at the feet where the body of Jesus had been.13 And they said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said to them, "They have taken my Lord, and I don't know where they laid him."14 When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there, but did not know it was Jesus.15 Jesus said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?" She thought it was the gardener and said to him, "Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him."16 Jesus said to her, "Mary!" She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbouni," which means Teacher.17Jesus said to her, "Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, 'I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"
18
Mary of Magdala went and announced to the disciples, "I have seen the Lord," and what he told her

John
Chapter 13

1 Before the feast of Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to pass from this world to the Father. He loved his own in the world and he loved them to the end.2 The devil had already induced 4 Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot, to hand him over. So, during supper,3 fully aware that the Father had put everything into his power and that he had come from God and was returning to God,4 he rose from supper and took off his outer garments. He took a towel and tied it around his waist.5 Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and dry them with the towel around his waist.6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Master, are you going to wash my feet?"7Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing, you do not understand now, but you will understand later."8Peter said to him, "You will never wash my feet." Jesus answered him, "Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me."9 Simon Peter said to him, "Master, then not only my feet, but my hands and head as well."10 Jesus said to him, "Whoever has bathed 6 has no need except to have his feet washed, for he is clean all over; so you are clean, but not all."11 For he knew who would betray him; for this reason, he said, "Not all of you are clean."12 So when he had washed their feet (and) put his garments back on and reclined at table again, he said to them, "Do you realize what I have done for you?
13 You call me 'teacher' and 'master,' and rightly so, for indeed I am.14 If I, therefore, the master and teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash one another's feet.15 I have given you a model to follow, so that as I have done for you, you should also do.16 Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him.
17
If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it.18 I am not speaking of all of you. I know those whom I have chosen. But so that the scripture might be fulfilled, 'The one who ate my food has raised his heel against me.'19 From now on I am telling you before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe that I AM.
20
Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me."21 When he had said this, Jesus was deeply troubled and testified, "Amen, amen, I say to you, one of you will betray me."22 The disciples looked at one another, at a loss as to whom he meant.23One of his disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, 8 was reclining at Jesus' side.24 So Simon Peter nodded to him to find out whom he meant.25 He leaned back against Jesus' chest and said to him, "Master, who is it?"26 Jesus answered, "It is the one to whom I hand the morsel 9 after I have dipped it." So he dipped the morsel and (took it and) handed it to Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot.27 After he took the morsel, Satan entered him. So Jesus said to him, "What you are going to do, do quickly."
28
(Now) none of those reclining at table realized why he said this to him.29 Some thought that since Judas kept the money bag, Jesus had told him, "Buy what we need for the feast," or to give something to the poor.30 So he took the morsel and left at once. And it was night.
31
When he had left, Jesus said, "Now is the Son of Man glorified, and God is glorified in him.32 (If God is glorified in him,) God will also glorify him in himself, and he will glorify him at once.33 My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. You will look for me, and as I told the Jews, 'Where I go you cannot come,' so now I say it to you.34 I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.35 This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."


John
Chapter 17


"I revealed your name 5 to those whom you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.7 Now they know that everything you gave me is from you,8 because the words you gave to me I have given to them, and they accepted them and truly understood that I came from you, and they have believed that you sent me.9 I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for the ones you have given me, because they are yours,10 and everything of mine is yours and everything of yours is mine, and I have been glorified in them.11 And now I will no longer be in the world, but they are in the world, while I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one just as we are.12 When I was with them I protected them in your name that you gave me, and I guarded them, and none of them was lost except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled.
13
But now I am coming to you. I speak this in the world so that they may share my joy completely.14 I gave them your word, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world.
15
I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one.16 They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world.17 Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth.18 As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.19 And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth.20 "I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word,21 so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.22 And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one,23 I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.
24
Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am 7 they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world.25 Righteous Father, the world also does not know you, but I know you, and they know that you sent me.26 I made known to them your name and I will make it known, 8 that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in them."

------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------

How many times have I gone to the Bible and prayed for guidance? Or a piece of Scripture hoping the Holy Spirit might lead me to and opened the pages and never when done in as much faith as I can muster have the passage not spoken to me at times more deeply then I ever thought possible. Suddenly seen with new eyes and understanding, and comfort or wisdom. I like that our Lord is not all comfy but always comforts when He is being strict.

These are the passages I got when doing my poustinia over last night and early morning. The Corinthians one made me chuckle out loud in the silence of the room, for I got it at home on Monday evening. Next was the Mary Magdalen passage at the tomb and it was her Feast Day Wednesday.

The other made me shake my head and crack a grin at the amazing nature of God's hand is the washing of the feet which tied into a video I watched/borrowed last week from Madonna House and the title was...drum roll please- Madonna House The People of the Towel and Water. yes based on said passage. After the past month you can understand my amazed chuckle.
The amazing thing was for each passage the Bible started closed and had no bookmarks or heavy creases in the spine, etc. So Wednesday was Gospel According to the Apostle John night.

More later on, got some answers and direction to my prayers tho! But as I said, will write more later after I get some dinner- no wonder I am hungry, its almost 10pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment