Friday, March 12, 2010

For An Old Friend- Rest In Peace Fellow "Ghetto" Co

Brothers In Arms
   ------Dire Straits

These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be
Some day you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn
To be brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
I've witnessed your suffering
As the battles raged higher
And though they hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell
And the moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But it's written in the starlight
And every line on your palm
We're fools to make war
On our brothers in arms
--------------------------------------
For SSGT S, may God bless you.
So many different wars, so many different ways to die...
Does one have a higher glory than another?
We are all walking paths to death.  We all have choices made for us and by us.
"Why does my heart feel so bad?  Why does my soul feel so bad? His love endures!"- Moby
Through music we bridge the miles and gaps in modern conversation.

Sweet, sweet guy, he died a few weeks ago in Iraq.  Over, huh- 25 years ago I knew him!  But still, as clear as yesterday.

This song was fixated in my mind most of the second half of December, made me pray for all those in war, civilians, military. First thing I thought of when I read the news. This song then.. made me mediate upon Catherine's story about fleeing war.  Brought many nights during a one week period of very cold, stark realities as I paced endlessly, restlessly in the snow by St G's...never able to escape the visual images crushing my mind, never able to ease the emotions rushing me as I felt the pain, fear, misery of families, child, soldier wandered, fled, terror filled, agony, misery, weight upon weight that tore at my being dragging me into their world so stark and real...the smells almost real, the darkness of night... the darkness they lived, breathed, longed to escape.
God have mercy on us..Dear God have mercy on us..I prayed, I pleaded!
During those days from 14December and the next several days all my mind, body and heart could feel was harsh realities of wars past and present in all the different peoples existing within the realms of them.  Sigh, so I had another horrific group of misery to pray and sacrifice for, gladly I took the task for I am blessed to live in peace, not having my world shattered by guns, bombs, hate, vile ugly evil that is war.  Was this a lesson being passed onto me on Catherine's anniversary date?  I sometimes wondered as I paced the snow, frigid and cold those nights in December...I wondered why then?  Why on this important day of her life and the MH Apostolate.  Who knows?  Surely not i...
So many, so very many dying... and for what?  Land? Righteousness?  Bullshit!  Oil?  Money?  Private contracts to make billions for private corporations?  Hmmm.. might have something there.  Sure they dress it up as a war against terror.  Bullshit!  They might even dare to have the balls to say a war against Muslim fundamentalism.  Again BULLSHIT!  Greed, and power is all it is.  Man's hubris!  Mankind's vile, base nature when allowed to fester and wallow in evil.  May God have mercy on us all!!!  For past and present wars, and Heaven forbide the wars to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment